Rawhide snapshot installation woes

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:04:57 UTC 2008

On 4/5/08, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Fulko Hew wrote:
> > Here's my (poor) experience with
> > Rawhide-20080404-Snapshot-i686-Live-KDE.torrent.
> > installation on a Dell Inspiron 6400 (aka 1505) laptop, with Intel
video.

> > After installation to disk and rebooting, all I get is the 'blue screen'
> > with X cursor.
> > Either booting in text mode or by viewing the boot progress, I see the
> > following:
> >
> > S99firstboot line 44: FILENAME: command not found
> > S99firstboot line 44: [: missing `]'
> > S99firstboot line 44: FILENAME: command not found
> >
> > and then it just hangs... no GUI login, no text login.
>
> Either boot into run level 3 or press I for interactive startup and skip
> first boot. You can then do a update which fixes this problem. First
> boot will start the next time you reboot after that.

Booting into run level 3 wasn't enough for me, but the interactive
startup was. I then fixed the problem, and ran firstart manually.
That now lets me get on with testing Rawhide...

Now where do I start with my comments and opinions?

1/ Click on _anything_, or try to do _anything_ and
   the SELinux AVC denial popup appears.  Arghh, I want to
   throw this thing against the wall!
2/ I tried changing the size of the task bar and the
   widgets are not drawn properly inside it.
3/ I can't find anything 'useful' on the menu. Note that my
   frustration is starting to set in big time!
4/ I hate this new menu mechanism.  Having to constantly
   click to expand a menu... click to get back a level,
   clock to pick the right group out of the bottom,
   before you start your clicking exercise.
   Click, click, click, click click!  All this clicking
   is going to give me RSI, and I'm going to sue somebody!  :-(
5/ I can't find where I can choose the video driver for X.
   Its picked VESA by default instead of the Intel driver
   more apropos for this hardware, and so I'd like to change it,
   but I can't find it on the menu.  (Though I can run
   system-config-display manually) When I did, I'm pretty
   sure that it didn't work, but I don't know the details...
   I'll have to do it again and record the symptoms.
6/ I tried the KDE news ticker.  It now popup up as a
   window rather than part of the taskbar.
   Keeping things on the task bar, keeps them in a known
   location and always visible.  Forcing them to be another
   window makes them 'yet another window that you need to
   personally manage.  Thats make it time consuming... that
   make any work on the desktop time consuming when I create,
   resize, move windows, etc.
7/ The calendar that you get when you click on the clock goes
   away as soon as you click on another spot on the desktop or
   a window.  What happens if I want to keep it visible and
   actually refer to it while I do other work in other windows...
   I can't... Argh.
8/ If this is the new KDE... count me out!!!  (It is a lot
   more unfriendly and alot more timeconsuming.)