Rawhide yum-update eats ~1.2GB of memory.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:42:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 09:46 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 16:36 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> > > Okay so for x86_64 rawhide yum is going to use about 450-500MB of memory
> > > for the package lists and depsolving.
> >
> > Eeeek.
> > Are you expecting the same memory consumption under F9-release?
>
> For the same set of packages, etc on a 32bit box the memory size is
> 112MB.

Oh, that's far better.

> It's due to how python does 64bit objects in memory - they explode about
> 2-3x the size.
>
> James Antill has done some marvelous work reducing the overall memory
> footprint of yum, but it's not going to overcome the 64bit issue above.
>
> Unless there is a compelling reason like you're using > 4GB of ram, you
> should think about running i686 not x86_64.

Yeah, you're right. I use 64bit on the guests just for the sake of
compatibility.
Guess I'll have to double the memory on 64bit guests.

P.S. I'd update the release notes about it:
(Read: Use 32bit if you have less then 2GB of memory)

> > > However, where you're seeing
> > > things run out of memory is where rpmlib is running the transaction.
> > If
> > > you file this as a bug, file it against rpm since that's where the
> > > memory use is increasing so much.
> >
> > Done. [1]
>
> Thank you.

I've retained the current snapshot (packages in cache; yum update
aborted) let me know if there's something that you want me to run before
I finish the update process manually. (rpm -Uvh
--force /var/cache/yum/rawhide/packages/*.rpm)

- Gilboa