desktop update failure (F9beta)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Apr 7 16:34:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:50:40AM -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:

> The root fs needs to be big enough to hold all the downloaded updates and
> transaction rollback data though,

Err, ... what says that /var/cache/yum needs to live on / ?
I do not know what is really needed for a transaction rollback
though and where to look for it.

> so at 300Mb for F9 is probably way too
> small for any install.

If you are going to download all update packages then on a file
system used for that you likely need a minimum between 2 and 4 GB of
a disk space depending on what was installed.  Quite likely more.
Updating via NFS or from a removable media is much lighter on
downloads.

300Mb for root is getting too small nowadays - does not matter
which architecture and how careful you are with /var.

   Michal