desktop update failure (F9beta)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:06:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I think this is good material for the release notes and user's guide, but
> poor material for the actual partitioning UI.

+1

If you are going to customize your partitioning, then you need to take
some responsibility for those decisions instead of expecting the UI to
hand hold you through it.  Wasting resources to cram in guesses meant
to as guides to customization feedback into the installer UI is a long
term loser.

But this thread has made me wonder about something.  In general do we
need a way to notify 'normal' users concerning out of disk space
situations when they occur or are about to occur?  Or do we have a
notifier already and I haven't run into yet?  The pathological case of
a ridiculously small /var/ aside.... when using the default
partitioning, users could run into low disk space situations for a
number of reasons (processing hours and hours of raw dv curling
footage into theora comes to mind).

-jef"Am I gonna have to start gpg ascii armoring anything I write
online?"spaleta