silly question - what is the rawhide/9beta+ way to set my timezone

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Apr 8 19:13:46 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:30:16PM +1000, David Timms wrote:
> OK, got that in the menu {Date & Time}. timezone is set correctly, and
> UTC is not checked. adding a ntp server {that works from ntpdate
> au.pool.ntp.org}, doesn't get the clock set.

In rawhide this is split now in two services - ntp and ntpdate.
What 'chkconfig ntpdate --list' says?  How about
'chkconfig ntpd --list'?

'hwclock' which reads and writes your hardware clock in rawhide
scripts is used in /etc/init.d/ntpdate and /etc/init.d/halt.

Hmm...,  I do not see in the current startup anything which would
set an initial system clock - save ntpdate which may not run or
may be unable to do the job.  That used to be done in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit but not anymore.  Is this intentional?

> Actually, this may have never worked eg:  I think I may have previously
> needed to service ntpd stop, let the applet fix time, then service ntpd
> start.

If you do not have configured any servers in /etc/ntp/step-tickers
(you can add those through GUI) then ntpdate will not attempt to
correct your time on a start and a discrepancy may be too much for
ntpd.

> Machine hw clock has always been in local time.

If you are not running on that machine some other OS which is
unable to handle UTC then this is only a recipe for headaches.

   Michal