X11 failure ?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 00:13:58 UTC 2008

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> hi,
>

> Found this list in the wiki.x.org page.
>
> Running Fedora8 x86_64 on a  HP c6715b,with "xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm".
>

> 1. until a couple of days back, I could watch YouTube and such in Firefox.
> ( not sure what messed things up )
> - tried Opera and Konqueror, but they don't work either, so it should not be
> Firefox alone.

In sorting out an issue like that you need to find out what changed.  Refer to
/var/log/yum.log for your package changes (at least anything yum changed) since
you noticed this; the file has dated entries so get the whole list up as far as
it has been happening.  If you also updated anything manually with rpm that
won't show up in yum.log.

> 2. My hardware is "ATI Radeon Xpress ?1250? for HP_TT" ( pasted from xorg.0.log )
> - think it may use a 1200 driver, as that is what I believed was used with the
> "xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm". ( This may have been updated, as
> when I did: rpm -q xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64.rpm, it said that it wasn't
> installed ??! )

rpm -q package (where package does not have .rpm), you can add .arch but you
don't need to unless you want to check when you have i386 and x86_64 of the same
package name.

rpm -q xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.7.195-3.fc8.x86_64

> - xorg.0.log says: xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-44.fc8, which probes a lot of stuff.
>
> 3. Have asked a few questions regarding applications like Miro,Totemplayer, and so
> on did run under Fedora 8, but nobody did answer this question. Perhaps they didn't understand it, as my impression is that others have these programs running.
> The programs  refuse to show anything in the movie window. ( could be missing some plug-ins, and other settings, but think there may be more to it )

Probably missing support libraries/codecs you need from livna.org or freshrpms.net.

> 4. At the moment, any application like in (3) crash the screen. It may go blank, may set up a uniform color, or a lot of vertical stripes. No keys will work, and the
> only option is to use power-off and restart the computer.

Thats a serious problem and should get reported, but you need to find out what
changed on your system when this started happening.  You may also be able to
revert to prior versions and see if this goes away.

In any case you're going to need /etc/xorg.conf, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and the
output of dmesg just before you cause the crash.  Attach that to your bug report.

> 5. Ctrl-Alt-F# should give me a new text screen, and Ctrl-Alt-F7 should give me
> back the graphical window. But this has never worked.
> - Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example, give a blank screen, or empty page. ( in fact, it seem
> like it may probe resolution or something, but doesn't drop into text mode )

Did that work before this crashing (4) started happening?  Could be because the
video driver is already having issues from the crash.  Does it work before you
run a video app and crash X?

> Should this be filed as a bug against the X-server ?  As I am unsure how sort out
> the many issues, so I write this.

Yes, against xorg-drv-ati first I would guess.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29