The new inittab file

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 9 03:34:52 UTC 2008

I see that a message has been added to inittab but it struck me as being
more obscure than it had to be.

It actually implies that if you change your default runlevel in inittab,
it will be honored, by saying that it it's used for the default
runlevel.

Couldn't it be worthwhile to point the user directly to
/etc/sysconfig/init to change from or to graphic run level.  I know that
if I hadn't kept up with this list, eventually installed it, and looked
at that, I would assume it meant I could change the default runlevel
there.  When that didn't work, I'd look again and then look at
/etc/event.d/rcS.  When I finally discovered, through google or
otherwise, that all I'd had to do was change a yes to a no in
/etc/sysconfig/init, I'd be irked, and possibly say mean things about
the developers under my breath, making my karma bad.

So, I feel it would be good karma to put a line in there, under the
runlevel one to say something like, To change to or from graphic boot
edit /etc/sysconfig/init.  (Because by doing that, you help users avoid
bad karma.)  :)

(If they can't figure out that they have to change graphic from yes to
no, well, then they shouldn't be in inittab anyway and we don't have to
worry about their karma).

Also, as I'm a regular on Fedora forums, I suspect there will be lots of
people with the same question and this could help avoid the cycle of
repeating occurances.  Note that I'm flexible--I'm not mentioning my
earlier suggestion that many people go right to the default line so that
the message could be there--oh, I just mentioned it.  Oh well.

Cosmically yours,

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6