X11 failure ?

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 23:46:47 UTC 2008

hi,

Adding some info:

- I have received some bugzilla reports, an invitation
some forum, so if time allow it, I may see what I can
do.

But...

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:

> In sorting out an issue like that you need to find
> out what changed.  Refer to
> /var/log/yum.log for your package changes (at least
> anything yum changed) since
> you noticed this; the file has dated entries so get
> the whole list up as far as
> it has been happening.  If you also updated anything
> manually with rpm that
> won't show up in yum.log.

1. I have checked the yum.log,  but it doesn't show
any
entries that match when this change occured.

Question:

a) will all received updates show in this log ?
b) will package install/removal with the Package
Manager
under Gnome show up in yum.log ?

2. Tried to figure out anything I did, anything that
took
place - and there are something I wonder about:

I did boot MS Vista, something I rarely ever do.
Received
some new packages, the first 64bit IE explorer, but
that
didn't show movies on YouTube either. ( have to check
this
again )
( Ha! the Fedora Team is ahead of you guys ;) - then
switched
back to Fedora, as I knew Firefox would show it.
( was it after this I encountered the trouble ? )

a) The unfortunate thing, is that ( as far as I know )
only
Microsoft have full access to Bios settings. ( don't
know of
any program that show any Bios details )

b) Several new computers seem to have some decoding
hardware
which may be an obstacle for us. ( my understaning )

3. Got sound working in Skype, which I have not been
able
to prior to the change that appeared. But find some
reports
of sound problems that exist with the Xorg driver ?
( just made me wonder some, as I never would have
thought of
sound in relation to the X-driver ? )

                       ---------------------

I add these words, as I really wonder if there could
be any
issue like I mentioned in (2). If so, - this could
really
become tricky to figure out.

Any comments ?
( else I don't know of anything that should change
anything,
if not the computer have screwed up anything during
normal
operation )

//ARNE