F9 Test Request - swfdec

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 22:11:58 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Chuck Anderson (cra at WPI.EDU) said:
>>> I think that there are probably a lot more flash apps out there that
>>> swfdec *does* work with - just no one has taken the time to report
>>> them.
>> What's with considering proprietary codecs as failures (red)?  Most
>> flash out there is going to need proprietary or patent-encumbered
>> codecs.
>
> Out of the box it fails; I don't see how that can be considered
> a successful test. Note that all of the ones I marked with red
> fail even *with* the codecs - they terminate early, abort, crash,
> etc. If it was just the codecs, I would have left it as yellow.

I feel the same way Chuck is going here.. I've seen swfdec fail on lots of sites
(I didn't report them, sorry), but it does *partly* work out of the box on many
others.  It works pretty well for me on most sites that are not video but just
slides or navigation bar flash.

And... all that needs to be done is wget the adobe repo, and yum install
flash-plugin, and the system is up and running with adobe flash while swfdec is
installed.  I see no negative in providing something that partially works and
pointing out in release notes that some flash support will require proprietary
flash.  I've been using adobe flash installed with swfdec as well and there is
no problem with that.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29