forcedeth gigabit problems

Stefan Cornelius stefan.cornelius at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:36:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my onboard gigabit network. Sometimes
(seems to happen especially after reboots), f9 tries to fire up my
ethernet and wants to get an IP via DHCP. However, it reports that no
link was found and I should check the cable. This is annoying, since
later NFS mounts time out and I have to restart the network stuff
via /etc/init.d/network restart manually (which usually fixes the
problem, but I tend to end up in 100mbit mode only).

I'm sure that the cable is plugged in correctly and that gigabit works
if everything goes smooth.

I noticed that auto-negotiation can take up to a few seconds, maybe that
could be the problem? It also fails for a few seconds right after
removing and adding the forcedeth module. Any ideas or pointers?

Thanks, Stefan