Nvidia 173.08 and Rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 10:25:05 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> Now that Nvidia has a driver that compiles against Rawhide,
>> has anyone gotten Compiz to work with it?  What's the trick?
>>
>> BTW 173.08 seems to work well with 64  Fedora  8, including
>> Compiz, Flightgear, et al..
>
> I was working on trying the driver tonight actually, but the suggestion
> in the release note thread [1] is that you need to leave glx off, so
> that doesn't sound hopeful to me.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111460

I successfully installed the drivers this morning on my system with the livna
173.08-1 driver package set.  I have a GeForce 5900xt (agp3) card and things
work predictably for it in 2d.

They (as usual) install via:
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia

There are a few caveats:

1) glx does not work, the module fails to load if you don't disable it, so you
must add to xorg.conf:
Section "Module"
Disable "glx"
EndSection

2) the livna installed service script 'nvidia' does not work, and actually
causes python to stacktrace.  I don't have more details on it yet, but disabling
the service is necessary and you must configure xorg.conf manually:
chkconfig --levels 12345 nvidia off

3) since you've disabled the service that makes sure you have the akmod built
for the current kernel, you have to be sure yourself; if you update a kernel it
might fail to start X the first time you boot it unless you go to runlevel 3
first, make sure the akmod builds, then load the nvidia module.

4) you must start X with the -ignoreABI switch:
startx -- -ignoreABI

5) end result is... you get a proprietary 2d driver

If nv or nouveau work for your setup I suggest waiting, there really is no good
advantage to nvidia's 2d setup unless you have major performance issues on
either of the other options.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29