Intel + hi-res video on rawhide = problems

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 15:31:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 16:42 +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> >From man intel:
> [...]
>        Option "CacheLines" "integer"
>               This allows the user to change the amount of graphics memory  used  for  2D  acceleration  and
>               video  when  XAA acceleration is enabled.  Decreasing this amount leaves more for 3D textures.
>               Increasing it can improve 2D performance at the expense of 3D performance.   Default:  depends
>               on  the  resolution, depth, and available video memory.  The driver attempts to allocate space
>               for at 3 screenfuls of pixmaps plus an HD-sized XV video.  The default  used  for  a  specific
>               configuration can be found by examining the Xorg log file.
>
> [...]
>
> AFAIR it should be set to at least 6144.
>
> Regards,
> R.

This value does not seem to help.

From original Xorg.0.log:
(II) intel(0): Allocating 3840 scanlines for pixmap cache

After manual setting to 6144
(**) intel(0): Requested 6144 cache lines
(II) intel(0): Allocating 6144 scanlines for pixmap cache

Mplayer still complains of insufficient resources.

Note that the video is "only" 720x384, but I just tried 320x239 one with
same result.

BUT:

Current results (all with xv output):
mplayer, 720x384: insufficient resources
mplayer, 320x239: insufficient resources
gxine, 720x384: SEGFAULT
gxine, 320x239: plays
xine, 720x384: SEGFAULT
xine, 320x239: plays
vlc, 720x384: insufficient resources
vlc, 320x239: does not know flv
totem-gstreamer, 720x384: plays
totem-gstreamer, 320x239: plays

Totem and VLC also complains about "No accelerated IMDCT transform
found" for the 720x384 video.

Hope this helps at least pinpointing where the issue might be.

Thanks,
Martin