Extra Extra read all about it - Preupgrade released....

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 16 00:00:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 19:59 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 05:45:06PM -0600, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >

> > >And the fourth :) .. Or the first RFE :) ..
> > >
> > >Missing the option to run it from the cli.
> > >Something like  preupgrade -r or --repo ( repo ) -s or --silent or -v or
> > >--verbose, -b --reboot ( reboot when done ) etc..
> >
> I haven't had a chance to try it yet, or even read up on it.  It only
> runs as a GUI?   That's a deal breaker for me right there.
>
> Meaning no denigration to all those who work so hard to bring us a nice
> operating system, if Fedora is in many ways a testing ground for RH,
> which is more of a server O/S, I don't know too many sysadmins who are
> going to rely on a GUI only tool for upgrading a bunch of headless
> servers.
>
> Sigh, back in the old days, when we walked 5 miles through snow--uphill
> both ways of course....

Actually, it was originally, just a cli. Then we wanted to spend some
time on the gui and that was done. Then we got sidetracked and never got
back to the cli part.

preupgrade is ver 0.9 right now. Before we hit ver 1.0 the cli bits will
work again. Right now they need a few hours of attention to check over
what it should be doing. I just haven't had the time to devote to
correcting it.

-sv