How to download a file without installing?

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Apr 17 19:34:08 UTC 2008

On 2008/04/17 14:51 (GMT+0100) Anne Wilson apparently typed:

> I have a bug report open regarding the PCMCIA card in my old laptop.  I'm told
> that system-config-network-1.5.5 should fix it, but of course without the
> card working I have no connection.

> I've browsed the yum commands, but don't see any way to download the file to
> this computer so that I can transfer it to the laptop.  Can yum do this, or
> do I have to look for it some other way?

How I do it:

runlevel 3
login root
mc
ftp to favorite mirror
find desired package file
copy file to desired location

e.g., for a new install to a puter that has no OS
1-boot Knoppix CD
2-create partitions
3-format partitions
4-install grub
5-mc ftp to favorite mirror
6-copy installation kernel & initrd to grub target
7-boot grub to installation kernel
--
"Either the constitution controls the judges, or the
judges rewrite the constitution." Judge Robert Bork

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/