Gnome and kwin

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Thu Apr 17 21:33:19 UTC 2008

Hi.  I've taken some advice I got on the list and am running Gnome
with kwin instead of metacity.  It's kind of the best of both worlds
for me.  In general, it works well.  When I first tried this, I think
I did "kwin --replace", and kwin took over.  I think I also made some
changes to my session setup to try to save/start kwin.  Initially,
only the first of my 8 desktops were drawn with a background, icons,
and menus.  The rest were a solid gray.  I somehow got the rest of the
desktops to show those things, but I don't remember how.  Now, a few
weeks later, I rebooted and am back to having seven gray backgrounds.
(I think I screwed up the session definition and had to do kwin
--replace again.)  I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I'm a bit
confused about what is handling the desktop and integrating with the
multiple desktops.  Is it nautilus?  If so, why is it not handling all
8 desktops?  I'm not particularly set on its idea of desktop
management, so if it would work better to run something else, that
would be fine, too.  Thanks for any pointers!

reid (running up-to-date rawhide)