network problems after installation

David Mack davidwmack at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:16:35 UTC 2008

On 4/18/08, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> David Mack (davidwmack at gmail.com) said:
> > This is still broken. The idea that ypbind should be able to function
> > even if it can only use loopback is absurd. It has to contact a
> > server. This not only breaks ypbind, it breaks autofs (the maps come
> > from NIS) and it will break everything else that depends on NIS data.
>
> If you use the current rawhide NetworkManager & haldaemon, setting
> NETWORKWAIT in /etc/sysconfig/network will give you the behavior
> you desire. (You may need to run chkconfig --resetpriorities on
> haldaemon and NetworkManager to move them earlier.)

No, it doesn't. I tried that after seeing the comments to that effect
in the bug report and before I sent out that email. I ran
resetpriorities on both haldaemon and NetworkManager as well as adding
NETWORKWAIT=1 in /etc/sysconfig/network.

No change in behavior on reboot, which is not really surprising, since
ypbind runs at rc3.d/S27ypbind and NetworkManager and haldaemon both
run at rc3.d/S98. ypbind is long dead when these things get invoked.

Dave