F9 dhcp problems (rtl_8169)

Josep Puigdemont josep.puigdemont at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 17:35:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

After doing a default installation of F9 review (from DVD), the network
did not work.
The problem was that F9 was unable to get an IP address via DHCP, even
though I could see from another computer that my router was offering
one.
I then tried to do a network install with the same DVD, but anaconda
failed also to get an IP using DHCP.

I knew the hardware, a realtek RTL_8169 Gigabit Ethernet built in on my
motherboard, was not the problem because I could get it working with F7,
and networking worked if I configured the interface with a static IP.

Finally I decided to try another network card instead, disabling the on
on the motherboard, and this time I had no problems whatsoever with
networking, everything just worked fine.

I don't know how to proceed debugging this issue, I guess the problem is
in the configuration of the Realtek 8169 gigabit Ethernet device, but I
can't tell what causes it, I don't see anything strange in "dmesg".

Does any of you have an idea how to proceed? Is this a known problem?

Thanks!

/Josep