How to download a file without installing?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Apr 19 17:36:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:28:34AM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I've tried till I'm blue in the face.  Listing /etc/yum.repos.d gives me
> fedora-rawhide.repo, fedora.repo, fedora-updates.repo and
> fedora-updates-testing.repo,

Are these non-empty?

> yet attempting to disable any of them tells me
> that there is no such file or directory.  Giving the full path doesn't help
> either.

You are enabling on disabling by repo names and not names of
configuration files.  Try

   grep -r '^\[' /etc/yum.repos.d/

What you see in '[...]' brackets are names you are interested in.
Another quick way to check those names, if they were already used, is by

   ls /var/cache/yum

Also what

   grep -r enabled= /etc/yum.repos.d/

has to say?

> Where do I go from here?

Get yourself installed yum-utils, if not already there and
see what 'package-cleanup' has to say about problems, duplicates
and orphans.  Try 'package-cleanup --help' for help.
Also an output of 'rpm -Va' can be informative (redirect that
to a file and go over it later as likely it will be sizeable).

   Michal