How to download a file without installing?- SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 20 09:57:41 UTC 2008

On Sunday 20 April 2008 03:49, Andrew Farris wrote:

> Without a network connection you can only use rpm to install (rpm -i).  I
> hope you worked this out or got a fresh install done.

I finally got system-config-network 1.5.6 installed.  I broke all my rules to
do it.  First - I logged in as root.  I then discovered that konsole runs as
root, saving me the problem of not being able to switch between sessions.  It
doesn't run as user.

Next I edited /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo.  Remember that I had used
the CLI --disablerepo=fedora-rawhide.repo earlier, without success.  At that
point it seemed worth trying yum again, and apart from needing --nogpgcheck
there was no problem at all.  It installed.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that I still get '3c501 device eth0
does not seem to be present, delaying initialization'.  Network is, of
course, unreachable, therefore there are no updates available to me.

Undenyably there are issues with this hardward in general, but there are
oddities in the whole of this saga for which I can see no logical
explanation.

Anne