F9 PreView Anaconda,XEN, Xorg Problems

David M Burgess davidburgess at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 20 14:32:26 UTC 2008

I've just finished installing the Preview Release on three different
hardware platforms.

Big problems with them all.

I'm installing on dual core 64 bit hardware"

Lenovo T61p	- dual core Intel
Asus A7N-M2	- AMD M2
Sun Ultra20 M2	- AMD Opteron

All the boxes have 2Gig of RAM and SATA drives, each box also has a
NVidia video card - different one in all three.

When Anaconda gets to part where you configure the network cards eth0
has no check mark but eth1 does and Anaconda is set to configure that by
default.  A minor problem but still wrong.

Far more seriously XEN refuses to boot on any of the three platforms I
even installed the 32 bit PR on the Asus box and had a similar reaction.

With the 64 bit OS XEN begins to boot the screen displays something like
"Xen is relinquishing the VGA console" and then it simply reboots.  The
32bit version hung completely at that point.

When using  system-config-display to try and get dual head working I can
check the box for "dual-head" but the drop down selection box for the
"second video card" is empty.  System-config-display refuses to let me
continue until I uncheck dual-head.

When I tried to update the base PR using
System->Administration->Add/Remove Software it took more than 40 minutes
to return and tell me that there were no updates nor any additional
software to install.  So I installed yumex and it worked fine.

I've tried the base F9 PreView release and I've also applied all the
updates available as of 1400 UTC Sunday April 20. I'd list the exact
version numbers of X, xen, etc except I've reverted to a working Beta
box.

The Anaconda and PackageKit problems are merely irritating, the XEN and
X are show stoppers for us.

My SMOLT report/page for my ASUS box is

http://www.smolts.org/show?uuid=pub_d0142107-93e5-4cd6-be94-04837980709b

if that helps any.