Via Video driver FC9

Xavier Bachelot xavier at bachelot.org
Mon Apr 21 19:27:48 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> Tom London wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know why or where the video driver "via.ko" is not in FC9.
>>>  I have a laptop that needs one.
>>>
>>>  Jim
>>>

>> Don't use Via, but wasn't that replaced by xorg-x11-drv-openchrome?
>>
>> tom
>>
> For some reason that package doesn't give me a via.ko driver for video,
> unless the video driver has a different name.
The 2D driver is openchrome_drv.so, the 3D driver is unichrome_dri.so
and the DRM kernel module is via.ko. Not sure how it could be made more
confusing actually :-)

> Via.com only has a driver for FC7 and it won't install on FC9 , because
> of wrong kernel

Do you mean you actually managed to install the VIA provided driver on
anything ? Congrats ;-)

> I have the package xorg-x11-drv-openchrome package installed.

Then make sure you use 'openchrome' as driver in your xorg.conf.

Regards,
Xavier