X settings not saved under KDE 4

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 03:44:56 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I have a widescreen (1440x900) Samsung LCD, which works fine under F8,
> with both Gnome and KDE. The video card is an onboard Intel 965 (Intel
> mobo). Anaconda set me up with the Intel video driver and a 1024x768
> display (stretched of course).

Yeah anaconda itself doesn't do high res, but it probably is not that anaconda
guessed low for your installed resolution but that X incorrectly responded to
the monitor after DDC probing, so look in your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and file a
bug on what is happening.  Your /etc/X11/xorg.conf should not have resolutions
specified by default and your monitor should be getting put into a standard
(nice) native resolution rather than getting stretched.

> * With KDE under F9-Preview (+ updates as of today) I can't use the
> Display Settings widget as the screen goes black and leaves me with
> nothing but a cursor.
>
> * From runlevel 3 I tried system-config-display and set things up as I
> want them. X proceeds to ignore the settings.

File bug, include xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log after X starts and 'ignores' these
settings.

> * Under Gnome I can run the display widget and set the screen correctly,
> but as as soon as I log out it reverts to its previous state.

Yes because its configured for your user's environment with randr, every user
can login differently.  If you want global configuration (for GDM) you've got to
do that in xorg.conf.

> * When I log out of the desktop (either one) I get a brief flash of an
> error box saying something about "AVC violation" but it goes away
> immediately.

This will be logged so you can 'grep avc /var/log/messages', but they can be
better seen if you're running setroubleshootd (should be on default) by running
selinux troubleshooter in the applications menu next time you login.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29