F9 menu issues

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 21:30:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:13 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 22 April 2008 02:30, Andrew Farris wrote:
> >> Of course, it reminds me heavily of the (also disgusting and unusably slow)
> >> Windows Vista new style menu system... which is no surprise as much of
> >> KDE's design mirrors UI elements people find comfortable and familiar.  (no
> >> need to flame I admit I'm a gnome person already people)  I gave KDE4 a
> >> shot and I do like some of it, just not that menu.
> >
> > I don't know anything about Vista, but you may be right about similarities.  I
> > understand that there are now International(?) guidelines as to what
> > constitutes usability.  I suspect that many of us would argue with some of
> > those guidelines.
>
> Probably so, but I think we could agree that Microsoft tends to do what
> Microsoft plans to turn into an international guideline (case in point OOXML).
> ;)  As for the menu, its nearly identical in behavior where you first choose a
> subfolder, then that subfolder's contents are displayed but the previous menu is
> not.  You must scroll inside the menu size rather than having the menu expand
> for long lists, and to go back up the tree you have to click elsewhere.  Its
> very slow to work with.

OTOH with the new KDE I find it nice to be able to type the first 2 or 3
letters of what I want and have it selected instantly. My problem with
menus is that I can never remember where anything is unless I use it
every day (and some of the arrangements are to say the least
questionable), so this feature is a win for me.

If there were a key combination that would open the system menu without
the mouse, I could do the whole thing from the keyboard. Maybe there is
and I just haven't found it yet.

poc