Can yum download to a pen-drive?

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Apr 23 13:26:11 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote, On 04/22/2008 01:49 PM:
> On a laptop with the LiveCD install I have the problem that I can't network,
> as the PCMCIA card is not recognised.  I have since found that the LiveCD
> itself can recognise and configure the card.  That makes me wonder if I could
>
> a) install downloadonly onto the RAM-drive
> b) use downloadonly to yum the updates, saving them to a usb pen-drive
>
> Any advice on how this might be done?  Thanks
>
> Anne

Assuming the LiveCD has a fully populated rpm database on it... have you
considered figuring out what driver (and utils) are needed to get it working
and then using rpm, on the LiveCD, to see what JUST the NEEDED pcmcia driver
and utils depend on, and use that information to pull JUST those rpm's from
the net (using a working network computer), and finally to (on the computer
with the broken pcmcia) use `rpm -ivh *` on those rpms which you put on the
pen-drive?

That should at least get it so that you can access the network with the
laptop, then you can yum away to do the rest.

alternatively fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Preview/Fedora/i386/jigdo/ on your
favorite mirror likely has jigdo's for making cd sets, assuming the 9-Preview
release has the version of the driver you need.

Out of curiosity... how did you get the laptop installed on this far in the
first place, i.e., what install media?

--
Todd Denniston