Trying to install VMware-workstation on F9 Preview

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 15:29:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:57:27AM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > Dejan
> > P.S. I gave up on vmware and I am now using VirtualBox (free, at least
> > as in beer, though it does contain some non-oss parts.

> I've been fairly happy with VMware for several years. I use it
> exclusively to run Win XP when I have to. The new version (6.5, now in
> beta) has an interesting drag-and-drop feature between host and guest
> desktops, which I'd like to try, but for now I'm just trying to get back
> to version 6.0.3 which worked fine on F8.

> I had a desultory look at KVM+QEMU a while back and couldn't get
> anywhere (a mysterious message about not finding a console, I forget
> exactly what it was). Maybe I'll have another go. I'm afraid the docs
> leave a lot to be desired.

VirtualBox is quite nice.  On a CentOS installation I find it as fast as
KVM.  (However, on FedoraForums someone said he found KVM far faster, so
this might be an O/S thing, a his hardware and my hardware thing, or
something else.)

As for docs, yes, they're outdated.  I have a page that will eventually
be going into the CentOS wiki, albeit somewhat modified, which is a bit
more up to date, at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/centoskvm.html

As for Vbox if you used bridged networking, I have another page covering
that.  It's covered rather well in their docs (save for wireless, which
I cover).  http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/

If you do try it, right now download the source one, not the rpm.  The
rpm isn't working with F9--it's looking for an older library--hrrm,
might be libcrypto.6.so, but at any rate, the source code one will
install.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angelus: I wanna torture you. I used to love it, and it's been
such a long time. I mean, the last time I tortured someone, they
didn't even *have* chainsaws.