How to remove a damaged file

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 19:49:26 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 17:56, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > For this one I'd rather have an ext3 partition, if I can't recover it.
> >
> > then I suggest more along the lines of:
> > mke2fs -v -c -c -j -L AnneWilsonPendrive  /dev/devicepartition
> >
> > '-c -c' -- Check the device for bad blocks before creating the file
> > system. using a  slower,  read-write test instead of a fast read-only
> > test.

I used that, and now I have the new partition, ext3.  However, although it
lists, it says I can't write to it.

brwxrwx--- 1 anne users 8, 49 Apr 23 20:37 /dev/sdd1

I'm trying to copy a directory 'Packages' from my desktop to the daneElec.
That gives

Access denied to /media/DaneElec/Packages.

if done in the gui, or

cp: cannot create regular file `/media/DaneElec/zsh-4.3.4-7.fc9.i386.rpm':
Permission denied
 if done from the CLI.  What am Imissing?

> If the pendrive really has bad blocks, I'd trash it. Bad blocks on a
> disk are one thing (e.g. local magnetization defect) but on a memory
> stick it means there's an electronics problem and it's going to bite
> sometime down the line.

Nothing was reported.

> Flash memory is not infinitely rewriteable and will start to fail the
> more you use it. Is this an old or much-used pendrive by any chance?

It's brand new.

> Of course we're assuming the I/O error in this case is actually caused
> by a physical defect, which is by no means definite.

I don't think it was physical.  I think I had a file or folder that was in the
process of creation when it lost contact.

Anne