A good test of the F9pre-release would be to have livna and friends ready

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 07:18:01 UTC 2008

2008/4/24 Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au>:
> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 20:53 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Leslie Satenstein
>  > <lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > Working lilly white slows things down. Fedora should be LillyWhite, but it
>  > > would be nice to have livna ready for beta testing too.
>  >
>  > You can use hte livna-development repo - that tracks rawhide.
>
>  The livna development repo seems to deliver a broken nvidia experience
>  (beyond the actual driver not worker properly) at the moment, including
>  things like:
>
>  `/etc/init.d/nvidia stop` doesn't actually stop the daemon (which means
>  that having had it fail to work, I couldn't revert easily to running
>  without the driver.
>
>  the initial install didn't build a kernel module for the currently
>  installed kernel (but did build a module for an updated kernel shortly
>  after)
>
>  the backup xorg.conf file it creates was also using the nvidia driver so
>  it wasn't any better.
>
>  To get a working system I had to do `chkconfig --level  5 nvidia off`
>  and then delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf* and then restart.
>
>  I didn't expect the nvidia driver to work well given it's lack of
>  support for 3D, but there seems to be a few things that livna need to
>  get right first.
>

>  R.
>
>  --
>  "It's a fine line between denial and faith.
>   It's much better on my side"
>

>  --

I wonder where all the efforts to have an unified extra repos have
gone.....dissolved with spring??? Freshrpms didn't set a rawhide repo,
livna seems not be updating development for a while
And not having an unified extra repo might cause many desktop users to
migrate elsewhere, especially for multimedia and graphic drivers.
And generally multimedia management has to be improved, I bet if a
newcomer might be happy in setting up his system and how long does it
take to have a system properly working (for multimedia)?

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag