A good test of the F9pre-release would be to have livna and friends ready

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:31:33 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:18:01 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
>
>> I wonder where all the efforts to have an unified extra repos have
>> gone.....
>
> It's a lot of infrastructure work beyond putting some free machines on the
> Internet. Even with availability of software that's used by Fedora, like
> the account system, the update system, the build system(s), there's much
> to do if you either want to set up a highly similar developer environment
> or a custom one.

The status of that effort can be easily found here, as well as the mailing lists
for it: http://rpmfusion.org/

As Michael pointed out... that repo merger is NOT a simple thing to get done.

>> And not having an unified extra repo might cause many desktop users to
>> migrate elsewhere, especially for multimedia and graphic drivers.
>> And generally multimedia management has to be improved, I bet if a
>> newcomer might be happy in setting up his system and how long does it
>> take to have a system properly working (for multimedia)?
>
> Instead of trying to threaten the livna packagers, it would be better to
> give them increased support. Too often one can read how people discuss
> various problems with livna packages without submitting a bug report.  For
> several packagers, their motivation comes solely from users who use their
> packages and give success/failure reports.

Indeed... http://bugzilla.livna.org/ is where the nvidia package problem
belongs.  The init scripts for the driver are not yet fixed for upstart (not
that it matters yet with the driver until the glx support gets released).

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29