A good test of the F9pre-release would be to have livna and friends ready

Antonio M antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 10:04:54 UTC 2008

2008/4/24 Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com>:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:18:01 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> >

> > > I wonder where all the efforts to have an unified extra repos have
> > > gone.....
> > >

> > It's a lot of infrastructure work beyond putting some free machines on the
> > Internet. Even with availability of software that's used by Fedora, like
> > the account system, the update system, the build system(s), there's much
> > to do if you either want to set up a highly similar developer environment
> > or a custom one.
> >

>  The status of that effort can be easily found here, as well as the mailing
> lists for it: http://rpmfusion.org/
>
>  As Michael pointed out... that repo merger is NOT a simple thing to get
> done.
>

> > > And not having an unified extra repo might cause many desktop users to
> > > migrate elsewhere, especially for multimedia and graphic drivers.
> > > And generally multimedia management has to be improved, I bet if a
> > > newcomer might be happy in setting up his system and how long does it
> > > take to have a system properly working (for multimedia)?
> > >

> > Instead of trying to threaten the livna packagers, it would be better to
> > give them increased support. Too often one can read how people discuss
> > various problems with livna packages without submitting a bug report.  For
> > several packagers, their motivation comes solely from users who use their
> > packages and give success/failure reports.
> >

>  Indeed... http://bugzilla.livna.org/ is where the nvidia package problem
> belongs.  The init scripts for the driver are not yet fixed for upstart (not
> that it matters yet with the driver until the glx support gets released).
>
>  --
>  Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
>   gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300
> BF29
>

>  --

I am not threatening anybody, as Michael is saying: what I am saying
that the effort to unify external repo is not clear, even if you look
to the link that you suggest in rpmfusion I don't see much activity, I
understand that they should be ready for F9 launch.
At the moment the only working repo for F9 is livna, isn't it?

Sorry if I created any misunderstanding ....

Rgds
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag