Rawhide install report - qualified success

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Thu Apr 24 18:13:28 UTC 2008

Did an install of Wednesday's rawhide (20080423) and can report a
qualified success.  The only problem I had was getting the correct
method selected.

I added
"stage2=nfs:wolves.private:/srv/Fedora/development/i386/os/images/stage2.img"
and
"method=nfs:wolves.private:/srv/Fedora/development/i386/os/"
to the boot command line (using boot.iso) and it proceeded correctly to
the point of fetching the repodata.  There it complained about not
finding the right name.

At htat point I chose to "Edit" and had to switch to an http: install
because an nfs: url wasn't accepted that late in the game.  Thereafter
the install proceeded smothly and I now have FC9(rawhide) running on the
testbed machine.

Can someone point out where/why my method specification (above)
didn't/couldn't work?  I've also tried "askmethod" in the stage2 spec
line and didn't get a dialog, just an error that let me edit and switch
to an http: method.

I will note that the http: method is apparently more robust and faster
that it was on previous releases. (I used to get timeouts and hangs with
the http: method.)

For my testbed 686 box, the release is shaping up nicely, and if the
LiveCD is any indication, the x86_64 should be okay also.

--
G.Wolfe Woodbury