FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module slusb.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'usb_unlink_urb'

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 15:13:02 UTC 2008

--- John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a smartlink based winmodem on my computer.
> > This is what I use to connect to the internet from
> my
> > home machine.  I am a little bit concerned because
> the
> > slmodem-2.9.11-20080417 code does not compile
> under
> > kernel-2.6.25.  When I try to compile I see the
> > following:
> >
> > for

/home/olivares/Downloads/slmodem-2.9.11-20080417/drivers/amrlibs.o
> >  FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module slusb.ko
> uses
> > GPL-only symbol
> >  'usb_unlink_urb'
> >
> > Is there a quick fix for this or an alternative
> that
> > will make the compilation succeed so that I and
> other
> > users with these kind of modems can continue using
> > Fedora?
> >
> > Thank you in Advance,
> >
> > Antonio

/home/olivares/Downloads/slmodem-2.9.11-20080417/drivers/amrlibs.o
> >  FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module slusb.ko
> uses
> > GPL-only symbol
> >  'usb_unlink_urb'
>
> You should take that back to the slmodem folk. It's
> the sort of thing
> you can (given the skills) fix for yourself, but you
> are forbidden (by
> licence conflicts) to distribute the results.

Yes, the file mentioned there
slmodem-2.9.11-20080417.tar.gz was posted at LinModems
Resorce page, smartlink section.  I do not have a
problem yet since Fedora 9 has not been released, I
just tested the code to see if it compiled or not so
that when Fedora 9 is released, I can connect from my
home machine.  Other users which have a smartlink
based modem will be left out, if things continue not
to compile.

Thanks,

Antonio