Add/Remove Software

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 21:12:11 UTC 2008

G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> Pirut was supposed to remain in the repository for F9 as an alternative
> for this new POS interface, but "they" went ahead and obsoleted pirut
> and have now removed it from F9 completely.
>
> I don't know quite who "they" are, but I am quite angry about it.  Not
> to the extent of leaving (like ESR did) but still quite angry.
>
> Someone should explain why pirut is gone so completely.

Thats pretty easy if you've followed list discussions on it.. Pirut was
unmaintained and incapable of adapting to PolicyKit authorizations which is an
amazing feature of F9.  Why its gone is because PackageKit needed to provide the
interface for package install behavior from file managers and it was best served
by taking over that interface from pirut.

And yes, you can still use yumex, or just use yum for getting many packages
installed at once.  There is upstream work being done on making the 'one install
at a time' thing much more pleasant, and instead of complaining about it this
discussion could be taken to the upstream list where it would be useful in
talking about the options for making that UI change happen...

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29