GDM Greeter

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:27:55 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:17:35 -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
>
>> Stefan Cornelius wrote:
>>>>
>>> I never noticed your first 2 points, but I sure share your opinion
>>> when it comes down to points 3-5. Never cared enough to put it in
>>> words and complain somewhere (since this is personal preference stuff
>>> and not really a bug), but I disliked the new GDM, too.
>>>
>>> My 2cent "me too" post :)
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>> Stefan
>>>
>> Well, the first 2 points are definitely bugs (the first is fixed already
>> in a patch, as I said), but I would consider the lack of ability to
>> configure the greeter a serious oversight, if not a flat out bug. You're
>> right that the ugliness and the animation are preference stuff, but
>> personally, I think the delay due to the animation is serious enough to
>> be considered a bug, if only in the designer's brain.
>
> "Animation"? What is it really? An attempt at making it look slow and poor
> on every machine? After entering a username, the dialog size shrinks in
> several visible steps while flickering badly. If that is by design, my
> first thought would be that the desiger can't be serious about it.

I see it as a clear attempt to design a login greeter that 'behaves' similarly
to the OS X Leopard greeter, which is great except for the fact that OS X is
running in 3D at that point and the resize is probably done by much more
complicated method than several individual resizing stages.

The animation can probably be made smoother in the future, especially if you're
not logging in while some services are still doing work after just starting up
in the background.  I agree its not very glamorous right now, but its a
damn-sight better than just suddenly snapping to a smaller box size... even DOS
could have done that.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29