GDM Greeter

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Mon Apr 28 20:27:14 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:42 -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
>> What does everybody think of the new greeter?
>>
>> Personally, I have issues with it:
>>
>> 1) suspend option remains, even after disabling suspend globally via
>> gconf-editor (bug already reported, and apparently patch has already
>> been committed upstream)
>
> In the meantime, you already can make the suspend button go away
> (together with the restart and shutdown buttons). See
> disable_restart_buttons on http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration

That's not useful. I want the shutdown and restart buttons... I just
don't want a suspend button (since suspend is very unstable... at least
I've never had good luck with it on my laptops).

>> 2) I can't seem to configure my "face" image. Putting a ".face" graphic
>> in my home directory doesn't work, nor does configuring image with
>> System->Preferences->Personal->About Me.
>
> What permissions do you have on your home directory ?

The default, created by system-config-users: drwx------
And, .face has: -rw-r--r--

This might not be correct for use with gdm, but at the very least,
configuring with "About Me" utility should just work by default by
setting the right permissions or prompting if permissions are not correct?

>> 4) Where the hell are the login screen settings? This is a serious
>> oversight. I had thought the greeter configuration was supposed to be
>> EASIER than previous releases (I can't remember where I read that, but
>> for some reason I was expecting it).
>
> What specific settings do you need ? The old gdmsetup exposed every
> arcane configuration detail, which is not something we want to go back
> to.

1. For one, it would be nice to disable faces. Sometimes it's okay, and
sometimes it's just annoying.

2. It would also be nice to be able to choose how usernames are selected
to appear in the list (even Windows can do this with TweakUI), whether
by UID range (i.e. > 500 or whatever), or specified list. (A good
configuration utility might have two columns, one column of available
names and one column of selected names, with arrows between to add
remove available names to/from selected names for listing).

3. The animation speed between clicking on username, and typing in
password should be configurable (down to zero, so there is no delay).
The login screen is for logging in, not for show, and the animation may
be okay for some people, but most of us just want to login, and that
means typing password immediately without waiting for animation.

4. There should be an option to display or not display date/time,
accessibility options, session options, and to configure the list of
available sessions.

5. How about configuring the background or theme? with preview?

6. A good greeter config utility would also make available the gconf
settings that affect the greeter.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, since you asked :)

Rainman