Samba issues on F9 (pre)

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Mon Apr 28 21:13:13 UTC 2008

I have rawhide installed on a dual boot system with Fedora 8.  F8 is running
version 3.0.28a of Samba just fine.  F9 is running 3.2.0-1.pre2.8.  I am
able to access F9 fine from a FC7 system.  I am not able to access it from
any Windows system.  I get the error:

\\Nugget is not accessable.  You might not have permission to use this
network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permission.

The parameter is incorrect.

I don't know what parameter is incorrect.  I have the firewall off on
Windows and F9, and still no go.  The two client commands were addedHere is
the smb.conf file:

# Global Settings
[global]

 workgroup = WORKGROUP
 server string = Samba Server Version %v

 client plaintext auth = yes
 client lanman auth = yes

# ----------------------- Standalone Server Options ------------------------
 security = share

# Share Definitions

[f8boot]
 comment = Linux filesystem for FC8 boot files
 path = /f8boot
 guest ok = yes
 writeable = yes

[f8root]
 comment = Linux filesystem for FC8 root files
 path = /f8root
 guest ok = yes
 writeable = yes

I tried man smb.conf and get a weird man page.  It looks like it is not
properly formatted for man.  It looks the same for all samba man pages.
Here are a few lines:

SMB.CONF(5)
SMB.CONF(5)

⌂SH  "NAME"  smb.conf  -  The  configuration  file  for  the Samba
suite
⌂SH "SYNOPSIS" ⌂PP The ▓fIsmb.conf▓fR file is  a
con-
figuration file for the Samba suite.  ▓fIsmb.conf▓fR contains
run-

Is this just a user error, or is there something wrong with the newest samba
on F9?

Jim