UUIDs in fstab

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Wed Apr 30 04:35:41 UTC 2008

Has anybody noticed that F9-pre installer creates an /etc/fstab file
based on UUIDs instead of LABELs? I seem to remember everybody all
worked up about LABELs instead of the traditional /dev/sda2 type
identifiers, in order to simplify changes to hard drive configuration.
But now, all of a sudden I've got this 32-character long UUID that makes
everything complicated again.

Granted, I understand that a UUID is just as good as a LABEL, as far as
functionality goes, but LABELs are so much easier to read, compare, and
type. Why would the F9 installer choose to create UUIDs instead of
readable LABELs? I have no idea.

Rainman