UUIDs in fstab

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 05:40:59 UTC 2008

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:35:41AM -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
>> Granted, I understand that a UUID is just as good as a LABEL, as far as
>> functionality goes, but LABELs are so much easier to read, compare, and
>> type. Why would the F9 installer choose to create UUIDs instead of readable
>> LABELs? I have no idea.
>
> UUIDs are unique.  LABELs may not be.

This is precisely the reason, because the realization has hit people that a
system may have many linux distros installed on it, so labels made by other
distros for '/' are not unique; at the same time the device names are no longer
guaranteed to be in any particular ordering when some devices come and go
(hotswapped drives especially).  UUIDs are the identifier that won't get mixed
up or changed.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29