named: unrecognized service?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Tue Jan 8 12:38:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:00:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> > I wanted Neal to dig a little deeper and find the problem himself. My
> > small set of questions lead to enough details to locate the problem.
>
> That's fine, and I try to do that too, but you did make an assumption
> (that he wasn't root) without any evidence to support it.

Running chkconfig _with_ sudo and service _without_ sudo at least was
inconsistent enough and made me point out that chkconfig --list should not
need sudo either:

And, of course, it would be much more of an assumption to guess that
"service ... status" does not need superuser privileges to read pid/lock
files (and to do stuff beyond that).