kernel-2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9 cannot boot (system hang)

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:22:48 UTC 2008

Osman Omar wrote:
> I do yum update against fedora development, so I think I install latest
> package. Do you mean I need to build initrd.img manually?
>

> On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 02:26:48 -0800
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Osman Omar wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using kernel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8. I update to
>>> kernel-2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9. During boot, it just hang. On screen
>>> I can see many error "No such file or directory"
>>>
>>> Below are some of the error

>>> Mounting root filesystem.
>>> mount: count not find filesystem '/dev/root'
>> Looks like you've got a bad initrd image without the proper drivers for your
>> hardware.  To move from the fc8 to fc9 kernel you'll be needing to get the new
>> mkinitrd package I think as well, did you do that?  You may need to uninstall
>> the kernel, update mkinitrd, then reinstall the kernel.  If that fails you might
>> have to try building the initrd manually.

Sorry, I didn't see your reply email to me.  What I meant there was that the
mkinitrd package in development had been broken several times, and if you
install a kernel while mkinitrd is not working correctly, then you'll have to
fix it by either 1) uninstall and reinstall the kernel with a working mkinitrd
packge, or 2) manually run mkinitrd (again needing a version that works) and
manually replacing the initrd.img in your /boot with the new one you made.

But I hope you got a new kernel by now and things are working.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>