DRAFT Fedora 9 Installation Test Plan

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 20:27:42 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:05:12 -0500
> James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> That might be a bit aggressive ... but no better way to tell than
>> trying it.  A big outstanding piece is to define what tier#1 includes.
>>
>> How do folks feel about ...
>>
>> Tier#1
>> * Install Source / URL
>> * Install Source / NFS
>> * Install Source / NFS ISO
>> * Install Source / DVD
>> * Package Sets / Default Package Install
>> * Package Sets / Minimal Package Install
>> * Partitioning / ext3 on native device
>> * Partitioning / rootfs on LVM device
>> * Partitioning / rootfs on RAID1 (not sure about this one)
>> * User Interface / Graphical Installation
>> * User Interface / Text-mode Installation
>> * User Interface / VNC Installation
>>
>> The intent is that the tier#1 test results provide a 10,000 ft view
>> of how usable a given tree is.  From there we might dive deeper
>> involving specific hardware setups and complex environments.
>

> Here is my take.  Installer doesn't really get as much of a benefit of
> pre-releases as other software does.  For that reason, installer should
> be pretty solid for Alpha, even more solid for Beta.  If things aren't
> found at Alpha and fixed for Beta we don't really get a significant
> testing of the fix before final and that's a bit hard to consume.

The earlier the better ... the price of late installer code changes is
much too high.  So here's the tight-rope walk I see right now ...

Trying to get something usable for (current rawhide fun) ... vs ...
running a test suite to have a more complete picture of the stability of
the software.

Perhaps we keep tier#1 as a measure of how useful a tree is (good for
the quick check on rawhide).  And extend the alpha release criteria to
be more comprehensive?

> So I
> would concentrate pretty hard on the installer cases for alpha and less
> about the content being installed.

"less about the content being installed" ... do you mean package sets or
something else?

> Also, testing the new installer features would be good, like resizing,
> encryption, url method, etc...

Definitely ... there's quite a bit of new features for F9 that could use
some attention.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/TestPlans/Fedora9Install#head-f7b88fb8ed705d300c540556e40079e5f5f1692f

Thanks,
James