Current Rawhide just a bit too raw

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Tue Jan 22 02:14:45 UTC 2008

Yowza.

Upgraded my desktop to Rawhide packages this morning and rebooted, and
boy, it was not a positive experience.  Too many issues all possibly
tied together to just stick them in bugzilla, so here goes...

I know Rawhide is in constant development and not expected to be
stable.  Still, perhaps at least some of the problems I encountered
today are not yet known and worth reporting, so I'm sending them here in
the hopes that the relevant developers will know what to do about them
or will be able to offer me more advice about how to collect enough
information to file a useful bug report.

First time I tried to log in after the upgrade, login hung with a blank
screen (well, not blank exactly, it had the same background that the
login screen has).  Ended up killing and restarting dbus-daemon, killing
gdm-binary and logging in again, and it worked the second time.  I was
unable to reproduce this issue after upgrading again from Rawhide this
evening and rebooting again.

Got this error when I logged in:

    The panel encountered a problem while loading
    "OAFIID:IntlClockApplet".  Do you want to delete the applet from
    your configuration?

Said no.  After upgrading again from Rawhide and rebooting, the problem
persisted.  This time I said yes and re-added the clock applet to my
panel; so far it's working.

"Shut down..." and "Restart..." are still missing the from the footprint
pop-up menu in my GNOME panel.  They were there before GDM was replaced
and were supposedly eventually going to come back, but I heard that
months ago and it still hasn't happened.  Frustrating.

Tried to restart my machine by logging out and clicking the "Restart"
button on the login window, but it didn't seem to do anything.
Eventually used ctrl-alt-F1 to switch to the text VT, logged in as root
and rebooted there.

Hate the new GDM login window and would like to put it back to a simple
username prompt, but can't find any documentation anywhere of how to
configure the new GDM (I assume there's a way to get that kind of login
window, but who knows, perhaps I'm wrong about that as well).
/usr/share/doc/gdm-2.21.5/README makes reference to an INSTALL file
which isn't included in the RPM.

Using openchrome driver, attempts to watch a video with mplayer using xv
resulted in a green screen and lots of CPU hosage.  Had to use "-vo x11"
to get mplayer to work.  I believe xv was working before this morning's
upgrade.  After this evening's upgrade, xv seems to have started working
again.  Cool, but I don't see anything in this evening's upgrade which
would explain that, so I can't help but suspect that the problem I had
before I upgraded this evening hasn't really gone away but rather is
simply intermittent.

When I double-click on "Computer" on my desktop, instead of getting a
window showing the drives and devices on my computer, my desktop icons
flash and then I get a window showing my home directory; I suspect this
means that nautilus is crashing and restarting (and the fact that my
nautilus process changes PID and timestamp when I do this would seem to
confirm this theory).

If I click on a mailto: link in firefox when I don't have thunderbird
running yet, then firefox pops up a thunderbird composition window, but
when I then try to start thunderbird's main window while the composition
window is still open, it fails.  This probably isn't a new bug, but I
just noticed it now.  To be able to launch thunderbird, I have to close
the composition window.

After this morning's upgrade, was unable to blank a DVD+RW using
dvd+rw-format.  After upgrading this evening and rebooting, it's working
now.

After blanking a DVD+RW with dvd+rw-format, I got this:

    Bug reporting tool

    The application gnome-mount has crashed.  Information about the
    crash has been successfully collected.

    This application is not known to bug-buddy, therefore the bug report
    cannot be sent to the GNOME Bugzilla.  Please save the bug to a text
    file and report it to the appropriate bug tracker for this application.

Don't know where to report it.

After upgrading this evening, when rebooting the Avahi daemon reported a
shutdown failure.  Can't reproduce this by running "service avahi-daemon
restart" without a reboot.  Ditto and ditto for ConsoleKit.

  jik