KDE 4 live image for i686

Emmett Culley emmett at webengineer.com
Sat Jan 26 06:36:12 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:
>> I tested the live CD on my primary computer (Pentium 4, Radeon 9200SE). What
>
> Some more testing:
>
> * I tried out the KWin desktop effects:
> - the good news: The effects work nicely on this hardware (r200_dri).
> - the bad news: Some effect changes crash KWin (SIGSEGV). Once it restarts
> automatically, the changed effects are applied just fine, but it shouldn't
> segfault in the first place. A change as simple as disabling desktop effects
> crashes it (whereas enabling them doesn't). Changes in the widget style effects
> crashed it too, so I wonder if it's the "updating system configuration" stuff
> which crashes it.
>
> * For some reason, the restart and logout options in the menu didn't work.
> (They just did nothing. No clue as to what the actual problem was.) I had to
> Ctrl+Alt+Bksp and then use the restart option in KDM to be able to reboot into
> my regular Fedora 8 installation.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I attempted to do the install to hard disk and failed.  I was trying to install it on a USB attached drive and got the following error each time I tried:

"An error occurred trying to format sdb1.  This is a serious problem, and install cannot continue."

The drive was previously partitioned using gparted and sdb1 is a 100MB partition.  I noticed that as the error was being reported that a "recently plugged devices" window popped up, so I assume that the USB connection is getting lost when attempting to format it via anaconda.

KDE 4 is pretty cool and works well on a dell inspiron 9400 with intel wireless, dell bluetooth and ati mobility x1400.  Both wireless and wired networks connections work perfectly, correct 1920x1200 resolution.

Emmett