Getting Rawhide

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 19:43:51 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 12:16 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> John Poelstra wrote:
> > Will Woods said the following on 01/24/2008 09:02 AM Pacific Time:

> >> One of the easier ways - if you have Fedora already running on the
> >> machine - is to use SNAKE. This is the method I use for most of my
> >> install testing. In the simplest case, it goes like this:
> >>
> >> 0. su -, yum install snake
> >> 1. snake-install [rawhide tree url]
> >> 2. reboot
> >>
> >> snake-install will pull down the kernel and initrd and modify the
> >> bootloader. When you reboot, it will boot into stage 1 of the installer,
> >> defaulting to dhcp networking, en_US language/keymap, then automatically
> >> pull down the rest of the installer and anaconda should start.
> >>
> >> If the install fails.. I grab a Live image and reinstall F8.
> >>

> > Or better yet, use virtualization and it takes a fraction of the time to
> > recover.
> >
> > 1) create a known good install of F8 or F7
> > 2) create a snapshot of it or clone it
> > 3) attempt rawhide install
> > 4) if the install fails revert to "known good snapshot"
>
> It would be very useful, if you folks document these details at
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rahul

Yes that would be VERY helpful. I didn't dare to ask a cookbook for
installing as Chuck did :) I thought I would get RTFM or 'google it'
type of an answer. So after wasting quite some time in installing F8
and after having 'dead' rawhide after update I asked on the mailing
list...

So please document what you know so that in future you can simply give
an url and tell others like Chuck and me to rtfm :)

Valent

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic