Wireless (ath5k) problem kernel-2.6.24-2.fc9

Joachim Frieben joachim.frieben at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:13:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 1:39 PM, Steven I Usdansky <usdanskys at rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Two questions:
> 1. Where might these custom parameters be located?
> 2. Why would they affect the ath5k device when my madwifi setup refers
> to device ath0?
>
> I have not compiled the madwifi driver for the new kernel, and the only
> reference to the ath5k device in modprobe.conf is the line
>   options ath5k autocreate=sta

1. You have given the answer yourself: it is the line "options ath5k
autocreate=sta" in /etc/modprobe.conf which is to blame and which you have
to remove our outcomment.
[After installing the madwifi package, a file /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi gets
created whose content reads:
alias wifi0 ath_pci
alias ath0 ath_pci
options ath_pci autocreate=sta
and from which this option made its way into modprobe.conf]

2. Interference may occur through
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rulesin which the network device
got associated with ath0 when using the madwifi
driver for the first time. After switching to ath5k, the device name still
is ath0, and for this reason, the option from /etc/modprobe.d/madwifi is
used. This problem would not happen on a clean Fedora system without 3rd
party packages, here madwifi.
If you remove /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot into the
new kernel, then the device name should change to wlan0. To be on the safe
side, you may want to remove the madwifi package temporarily while you are
testing ath5k.