Rawhide on AMD 64

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 07:24:55 UTC 2008

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> Finally was able to install from the Sunday Rawhide.  I was mainly
> interested
> in trying KDE 4 as the Opensuse and Mint versions were not satisfactory.
>
> The first thing I do when installing a GUI Linix is add an iocn for
> a terminal prompt.  St this works.
>
> I was unable to enhance the look and feel with the default nv driver.
> The 169 Nvidia driver installs but fails to find some needed files.
>
> I haven't been able to get VNC to serve a KDE 4 desktop instead
> of Gnome.
>
> I haven't liked previous versions of KDE, but KDE 4 may be more
> to my liking.

There was a dependency bug in one of the livna package that should be fixed, to
bring in xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.  It should update to 169.09-2 and fix that
unless you have a different issue.

You can also try using the 'nouveau' driver instead of 'nv', though you'll still
only get indirect software 3d (if at all).