gvfs and rpm: stat errors

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 15:22:45 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 14:44 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> Ever since I updated nautilus, thus pulling in gvfs as a dependency, a
> lot of RPM transactions outputs this error:
>
> error: failed to stat /home/michel/.gvfs: Permission denied
>
> Anyone knows what's causing this?
>
> dr-xr-xr-x+   2 michel michel        0 2008-01-27 14:21 .gvfs
>
> $ getfacl ~/.gvfs
> getfacl: Removing leading '/' from absolute path names
> # file: home/michel/.gvfs
> # owner: michel
> # group: michel
> user::r-x
> group::r-x
> other::r-x

~/.gvfs the location where fuse mounts of your gvfs mounts will appear
(for the benefit of posix io apps). Due to the suboptimal way our fuse
package is set up currently, you need to be in the fuse group for this
to work.

r-xr-xr-x is the type as returned by the fuse filesystem
rwx------ is the on disk permissions

We should probably fix the permissions reported by fuse, but the kernel
limits fuse access to the user anyway.

Matthias