partition tip ?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 03:22:09 UTC 2008

Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
> It's possible to have dual boot, like Fedora + Windows.  Is it not possible
> to  have a  dual  boot,  like  FC6 and F8 ?

Yes you can do that, but there are a few complications.  Fedora by default
labels the partitions in a simple way (LABEL=/, LABEL=/home) and mounts these by
label.  If you have two distros installed you'll need to have them labeled so as
not to conflict, and that means some manual editing of fstab and labeling the
filesystems.

The only alternative I'm aware of for that is hiding partitions from grub,
although I'm not sure if that fully fixes the problem once the kernel takes over
and anything other than the root is mounted.  If you had a common /home and only
two separate / partitions which contained the entire install that might work.