Fedora testing repository - status of packages

Adrin Jalali adrin.jalali at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 05:32:41 UTC 2008

Dear Tom,
Thanks for your response, and actually I'm Adrin, not Adrian ;).
I conclude from your response that many packages have test suits. Many
libraries also have one, or someone can prepare one for them. And
applications having GUI can be tested just by running and working with them.
So I think that's good to place a link to test suit of packages (if
available) on the page of each package on the Fedora Updates website (
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/testing). Also I think that's
good for libraries to place names of some usually used applications which
depend on libraries and if possible, name facilities of those applications
which use that library. In this way I think testers can test libraries much
easier.

About enhancement updates, I think changes to last version can be placed on
the page. Again to test faster.

I think there can be a check-list for each package to check when reporting
the install experience. For example list of handled bugs is a part of that
list. Or list of new features is another part of that list. For enhancement
updates, or for packages like kernel, I think duration of testing (1 day, 1
week, 1 hour ,....) must be reported too.

Another point in my mind is that, many users use updates-testing repository,
but only a few of them report their experience on the site. Only if they are
a BZ user, they will report a bug if they find one. So maybe it's a good
idea that PackageKit collects information about updates-testing packages
installed on the user's computer and request user to allow it to send the
experience information for the Fedora Community. In this way information
needed for the decision of pushing packages to stable will be collected much
sooner.

Best,
Adrin.