compiz on ppc64 testing

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:51:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Nikolay Vladimirov
<nikolay at vladimiroff.com> wrote:
> On (17/07/08 10:48), Will Woods wrote:
>>
>> Good work getting this to compile, but.. unless I'm mistaken, ppc64
>> machines all have (mostly) ppc userspace. (It's kind of the opposite of
>> x86_64 - most of the system is 32-bit, except some specific
>> compatibility stuff that needs to be 64-bit.)
>>

> Had no idea. Just followed some bug report assigned to me. I imagined
> it was like x86_64.
> Also if the most of the userspace is ppc I guess that ppc64 compiz will
> be slower since I doubt that it's optimized for ppc64 or something. I
> don't know actually. Is there any gain in having ppc64 compiz? Or I
> just messed up some working stuff.

The only reason for using  ppc64 userspace apps is to access more than
4GB memory.
ppc64 binaries are slower than ppc ones due to the higher memory
footprint (thats not the same as x86_64 where you get more registers).
But if compiz works on pcc64 its ok to have it there (like we do for
all other packages).
And while building compiz-fusion for ppc64 I spotted a real bug and
fixed it (fix is also commited upstream now).
So it does not hurt ;)