Very slow password validation

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Jul 27 02:33:50 UTC 2008

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> After rawhide update of 20080726, validation of root password is
>> taking (subjectively) a very long time, about 20-25 seconds.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this?
>> .
>
> Yes, logging in an su - terminal took about half a minute.
I've noticed that on some of my F9 machines, from remote. The delay is
between ssh server, and getting back the login prompt. From memory,
machine tries a dns lookup of the machine name to see if it matches ip,
which eventually times out, and continues.

Is that where is occurs {ie which commmand, from where, to where, when
is the delay ?

DaveT.